Sunday 27 February 2011

Trials and Tribulations

I said I would write about my trials and tribulations and the start of this season has already provided me with the opportunity to write about them.

Doha A-Grade (Qatar) was our first competition and with preparation beginning from the end of the Worlds (Nov) I was well trained, rested and psyched. On our arrival in Doha sprirts were high, swords were working and legs were fresh. Unfortunately the food at the hotel buffet was not so fresh and 3/5 funded team members were hit with food poisoning.

Although I didn't get through to the second day of individuals and was in no fit state to fence in the team event, there were some victories during the trip. Sissi Albini came 23rd out of 145. We came 13th in the team event and although this was a place lower than last year it was our most consistant performance yet. We beat Mexico, Japan and Canada and narrowly lost to Germany 42-45 and Sweden 41-45.

The second comp was in Budpest and again has provided us with more trials. Although our flight was on time and the hostel was UNbelievably plush for 15 euros a night (this comp, not including a team event was self funded), our fencing bags were not brought from Heathrow until 2am meaning that we had to go the venue early to put our weapons through security and safety tests and went to sleep unsure of whether we would actually be able to compete at all the next day.

Although I felt I fenced more relaxed and confidently than I had yet in an international comp we all did bitterly badly and none of us made it through to the second day (a dismal result not yet encountered by us).

Of course I can lay on the excuses thicker and faster than the Swedish snow but that is not my intention. Instead I mean to portray the psychological strengths we are building as an individual and as a team. Despite the setbacks we are not beaten in spirit and I can honestly say I cant wait to return to London tommorow morning and start the weeks training again this time probably with more fire to prove myself (although could probably do without the 6am flight!).

No comments:

Post a Comment